This month we thought we would change it up from our normal “Motherhood Musings” to have a Dad share his thoughts on being a parent.
What has surprised you most since becoming a Father?
- The first 6 months were difficult to get through for me personally because I was staying home alone with our daughter. Staying at home with her gave me such great appreciation for anyone else that stays home with their kids, especially single parents. At the time it felt very overwhelming but looking back, it was such a special time we spent together. I got to see her crawl first, which kind of made my wife jealous.
What do you wish someone had told you before having a baby?
- Not every day is going to be fun. Have patience. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Before we had kids I always had the impression that kids were easy and they were fun to be around. Most of the times they are, but there are times when you just need a break.
What advice would you give to a new/soon to be Dad?
- Remember that you and your spouse come first. Even though a new baby needs lots of attention, don’t forget about each other. Plan dates weeks in advance so it gives you something to look forward to(and enough time to line up a babysitter). Also, bring your kids a lot of places from an early age. Don’t get stuck in the house, you’ll go crazy!
What’s one embarrassing dad moment you’ve had?
- Don’t tell the child protective services, but I forgot to buckle my daughter into her car seat (more than once, whoops!).
What is your dream for your children?
- To see them happy. Before we had kids I also had visions of my kids playing baseball or basketball, now it doesn’t matter. As long as they’re enjoying themselves, that’s perfect! Oh, and I want to road trip with my son to see all the baseball stadiums.
What did you enjoy the most about your experience with Ten Tiny Toes Photography?
- Working with Amy when we had our first kid was a great experience. We didn’t really know what to expect heading into it but the way Amy made conversation seem natural, it felt like we had been friends with her for years. The photography itself was beautiful. We’ve had so many people comment on the pictures hanging in our house and we’ve also had a lot of friends use Ten Tiny Toes after seeing our pictures.
-Ryan Hoffman, Owner of Tickled Greens Organics